Serco provides contemporary simulator based maritime warfare training that meet the unique needs of military operations, utilising immersive and simulation technology to replicate real-life situations.
The Royal Australian Navy’s (RAN) Bridge Training Faculty (BTF) is a world class training facility that features 6 full and 4-part mission simulators for training Naval Officers in navigation and warfare utilising the Kongsberg suite of simulation technology.
About the Role
The purpose of this position is to be an integral part of the provision of navigation and warfare training to RAN Officers, using simulation as a key training aid. The Assistant Maritime Warfare Instructor works alongside the Senior Maritime Warfare Instructors and RAN staff to provide world class training to Maritime Warfare Officers.
Specifically, the role requires the Assistant Maritime Warfare Instructor to operate the complex simulator system at the highest level whilst providing realistic simulation scenarios from a sailor’s perspective in order to prepare Officers for service in the Fleet.
The role requires technical understanding and first stage defect rectification when the complex simulation systems develop faults or issues. SERCO will provide training to meet these specific requirements as well as aid in gaining civilian qualifications in Training and Assessment.
The current incumbents in role come from a varied background of CIS, CSO, MW and BWC backgrounds.
- Configuration of the Bridge Simulator system in preparation for training, including but not limited to, simulator system, bridge simulator and auditorium setup.
- For approximately 44 weeks of the year provide instructional support in the simulator comprising of a favourable shift-roster week of mornings, afternoons or nights providing an excellent work/life balance. Outside of this routine the standard hours of work are 0730 to 1600 Monday to Friday with flexible working arrangements available.
- Instructional classroom teaching and on the job application of tactical signals in accordance with current RAN doctrine
- The ability to role play various ancillary ship positions in support of training i.e Operations Room personnel and Flight Deck personnel.
The incumbent of this position MUST hold or be able to gain and maintain a defence security clearance of NV1 - SECRET, or above.
- An Assistant Maritime Warfare Instructor shall have a proven Communication Information System (CIS), Combat System Operator (CSO) or Electronic Warfare (EW) qualification (have ideally gained the rank of LS, CIS-C, Skill Grade 3 with 12 months contemporary sea experience). Other commensurate or equivalent military experience suitable to the role will be considered.
- An Assistant Maritime Warfare Instructor shall have at least 6 years’ service in uniform.
- Participated in multinational exercises whilst embarked in a RAN Frigate or Destroyer within the last 5 years (e.g. Talisman Sabre or RIMPAC).
- Maintain detailed knowledge of the RAN Warfare procedures and/or RAN Navigation Fleetwork