To boost our efforts working towards Australia’s ongoing investment in defence capability we are looking for an experienced and customer focused Business Development Manager with a record of contract winning to join our small but capable team.
About the role
The role reports to the Managing Director and is hands-on and based in Canberra. The role will be pivotal to the business’ ongoing growth and performance. Success in the role will be determined by winning profitable orders in line with the company strategy while delighting customers and colleagues in a respectful and forward thinking environment. You will work closely with a tight team across the country including the Directors, our Business Line Leads and the current Business Development Manager and Marketing Manager.
Core role responsibilities include:
- Winning new orders in line with the Company and Business Line strategic plans
- Contribution to Company strategy and plans
- Contribution to Marketing and communications
- Other leadership and management duties commensurate with experience
What can BMT do for you?
We offer interesting and challenging work in an environment that genuinely values individual contribution, be it through projects, participation in innovation for future oriented problem solving, and/or supporting our colleagues – wherever they are located – to deliver superior solutions for our clients and achieve personal and professional growth.
We offer competitive salary packaging including profit sharing, fiscal support for memberships and training and importantly, the flexibility required to help our employees’ meet their personal and professional interests and commitments.
What can you do for BMT?
- Identify and win new and profitable contracts in line with the company strategy
- Support your colleagues with business development through direct marketing and sales activities and coaching and development activities.
- Manage and maintain a picture of market trends
- Earn the trust and respect of others through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Work closely with colleagues across the BMT “five eyes” partnership to identify national and global opportunities.
What you need for success
- Experience in the defence industry is essential
- Empathy for and commitment to the outcomes of Australian Defence and related government organisations is essential, we are not complainers here – if we see a problem we don’t complain about it – we go and fix it and we respect others who do the same
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Business Development / Marketing role in a consultancy or complex product sales environment
- You will be a relatable, honest person of unimpeachable integrity and that is how you prefer to engage both your colleagues and customers
- You are pragmatic without skipping details and you are driven without needing external motivation besides the satisfaction of working each day at your calling
- Strategic/Logical/Analytical thinking, attention to detail, strong organisational and planning abilities
- Strong communication and influencing skills, high energy and drive.
- A willingness to travel extensively to interstate and international offices is required.
- Sound commercial acumen
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in business/marketing/engineering/naval architecture would be an advantage
45+ years strong and 100-percent employee owned, BMT is the right place for talented and motivated individuals who seek to distinguish themselves in a business poised for unprecedented growth in the next 5 years.
BMT Defence & Security (Australia) is part of a the BMT Group with around 1,500 professionals located in 60+ offices in Europe, Asia and the Americas. BMT Defence & Security Australia has been expanding its footprint in Australia since 2005 and has recently worked on and provided technical advice on several significant naval projects in Australia including the Future Submarine and Offshore Patrol Vessel programs, Collins Class submarine sustainment and the Ships and Submarines Divisions Workforce Review and is looking to continue to contribute to naval shipbuilding projects.
We invite you to apply if you feel you would be a good fit for this exciting opportunity.
Please provide a current CV and cover letter referencing the competencies, skills and qualifications mentioned in the advertisement.
For more information about BMT, our culture and our achievements visit: