What you will be a part of
At Saab, we constantly look ahead and push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
Saab Australia develops advanced defence and security systems for domestic and international markets. Our intuitive real-time command and control; command support; security and surveillance; and mixed reality applications are designed to adapt to today’s rapidly changing defence and security challenges. Over thirty years, the company has established a reputation as Australia’s leading capability systems integrator. We develop technology that pushes boundaries and breaks conventions to keep people and society safe. Offering a fresh, vibrant place to work, Saab backs its commitment to offering a healthy work-life balance with a great working culture, generous benefits, flexible working hours, and an active Social Club.
As a Combat Systems Engineer within Saab Australia’s Combat System Engineering Group you will be a member of a professional team developing innovative Combat System solutions for Saab’s customers around the region. You specifically will be responsible for performing complex systems engineering tasks on the specification, design, development, verification, acceptance and support of a Combat System, especially as that related to surface ships.
Tasks will include, but will not be limited to:
- Providing engineering technical leadership across combinations of: a project, a system or subsystem product line or an engineering area within the company.
- Developing and maintaining a detailed understanding of the system(s) or capability(s) for which engineering technical leadership is provided.
- Supporting the development of system architectures for new or evolving products.
- Acting as the subject matter expert for selected capability domains or technologies.
- Supporting the development of system requirements, system architecture and design, implementation, verification and acceptance.
- Supporting reviews of systems and documentation as required.
- Ensuring all artefacts required for deliverables and reviews.
- Identifying, sequencing and prioritising tasks in consultation with the Project/Technical Lead.
- Planning, allocating, monitoring, controlling and delivering assigned tasks within the agreed scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- Reporting, progressing and planning updates on assigned tasks and proactively addressing any potential schedule, cost or technical issues with the Project/Technical Lead or assigned Technical Authority.
- Ensuring product, system and workplace safety across all activities.
Your skills and experience
To be successful in the role you will possess:
- Tertiary qualifications in computer systems engineering, systems engineering, communications engineering, electronic/electrical engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- Knowledge about contemporary engineering process, standards, principles and best practices.
- Sound understanding and experience of engineering in large scale complex systems.
- Experience in effective interaction with non-technical stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of the entire engineering lifecycle.
- Experience in at least two areas of a complex system: architecture, design, integration, test and verification, acceptance, through life support or upgrades.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Department of Defence security clearance to Negative Vetting Level 1.
Experience across the following areas would also be especially desirable:
- Above Water Sensors
- Combat System Physical Integration
- Human Factors Engineering
- Systems Integration
Specific position descriptions for each of the domains noted above can be provided. Please contact Josh Deane for a copy of the full Position Description in your specified domain.
Please click ‘Apply’ to submit your CV and cover letter in application for this opportunity.
To work at Saab you must comply with Defence Industry security requirements (i.e. you will be an Australian citizen or able to meet eligibility requirements).
Saab Australia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to apply.
Saab Australia is a proud supporter of the Veterans’ Employment Program and welcomes the interest of ex-service members, veterans and their families.
Saab is a global defence and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defence, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number 15,500 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development. Saab is also a company with opportunities. A company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility and good opportunities for advancing in your career. But also a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.