We've come a long way in over 65 years of operation in Australia. On top of a strong underlying business, having been selected to deliver the next generation of advanced anti-submarine warships, the JORN Phase 6 radar upgrade and sustainment program and as a tier 1 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program partner, the future is bright for our more than 4,000 employees.
Despite COVID-19, we have a strong pipeline of job opportunities and we are still hiring. We're continuing to provide the Australian Defence Force with what they need to help protect the nation. Many of our people are now safely working from home. Of course some roles can't be done from home and in those cases, we're operating with an increased focus on health and safety on-site. We're finding new ways of working in response to COVID-19 and our workforce is still delivering the best capability for Australia.
In terms of our culture, it's safety focused and inclusive. For us that means ensuring that the voices and talents of every employee are valued and that everyone has a sense of belonging. It also means providing a safe, family friendly, flexible and supportive place to work.
Working with BAE Systems includes immediate access to a full training catalogue of extensive courses and education programs. These national and international courses include both project specific technical training as well as personal development and growth. You can also choose an additional level of development by signing up to our internal mentor program that can provide one on one career guidance and development feedback.
About the Project
The Hawk Lead-In Fighter (LIF) is the world’s most successful advanced military jet trainer aircraft built on more than 35 years of fast jet training experience.
The Hawk Mark 127 Lead-In Fighter, a tandem two-seater jet aircraft, is a “flying classroom”.
About the Opportunity
A new opportunity has arisen for a Software Engineer to join our Aircraft Sustainment and Training Business unit to support this major acquisition project which involves the replacing the existing Hawk engine with the new engine and adapting the aircraft systems to suit. The role will primarily be focused on ensuring compliance of software to military airworthiness standards.
In more specific terms, you will:
- Responsible for ensuring compliance of software to military airworthiness regulations
- Contribute to the management activities to support the acquisition of new or modified aircraft software
- Work as part of engineering team to assure successful definition, acquisition, integration and release of software upgrades to operational military aircraft systems. (e.g Upgrades to software control systems, engines, mission computers, etc)
- Identify any software related Technical Risks and proactively contribute to managing their associated mitigation strategies
- Have a strong focus on software supplier interactions and engagement
- Ability to resolve differences in views and opinions relating to software compliance activities between various stakeholders
- Responsible to facilitate the relevant software compliance review activities between suppliers and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the project plans and processes that relate to the software acquisition and management strategies.
- Monitor compliance to relevant project engineering plans
As an ideal applicant for this opportunity, you’ll have:
- Experience with airworthiness regulations relating to software (e.g DASA regulations) – Essential
- Experience in software acquisition and compliance activities - Essential
- Broad knowledge of basic military aircraft systems - Essential
- Software systems design and development background – Desirable
- An understanding of the Systems Engineering process and lifecycle - Desirable
- Previous experience working within Australian Military or Defence organizations – Highly Desirable
- Familiarity with Australian Defence technical standards – Highly Desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to enable you to work effectively with others and to be able to influence across all levels of the business
Don’t meet every criteria listed above? Don’t worry. Providing you have the right foundational experience and qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Whether it be for this role or another, your skills and competencies are of interest to us.
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and either hold or be eligible to obtain and maintain Baseline clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Simeon Whitelake, Talent Acquisition Specialist- Engineering and made online here.
Whilst applications must be made online, confidential enquiries are very welcome via email: email@example.com
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and Veterans for these opportunities. An inclusive culture and an exciting, supportive career opportunity awaits. We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://tinyurl.com/Work180BAE-Systems-Australia
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
BAE Systems Australia will never request money from you during the recruitment process. Please be aware of scam messages asking for money for an administration fee, visa or similar. If you receive such a message please report it to Scam Watch www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam.
Job applications should only be submitted via the BAE Systems Australia website and not via email. If you receive an email from BAE Systems that does not utilise “@baesystems.com” as the domain, it is not legitimate. BAE Systems does not use gmail, aol, Hotmail or similar accounts.