The awards are open to Aussie companies or Australian subsidiaries of overseas companies, and will be judged on originality and understanding of user needs.
The award will be presented at the Australian International Airshow and Aerospace & Defence Exposition, which will take place between 26 February and 3 March 2019. It will be the fourth Avalon Airshow to feature the Innovation Awards, and is developed by the not-for-profit Aerospace Maritime Defence and Security Foundation of Australia Limited.
Six awards will be presented in total for the following categories:
- AVALON 2019 National Civil Innovation Award;
- AVALON 2019 National Defence Innovation Award;
- AVALON 2019 Civil SME Innovation Grant;
- AVALON 2019 Defence SME Innovation Grant;
- AVALON 2019 Young Civil Innovator Award; and
- AVALON 2019 Young Defence Innovator Award.
The Avalon organisers also strongly encourage entries in the following sub-categories, in which the judges may present additional prizes at their discretion:
- Space operations and technology: anything relating to space technology and operations, from launchers and payloads to ground stations and control systems;
- Autonomous and unmanned systems and ISR: anything from hand-held to HALE UAVs, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance equipment and payloads, advanced ground stations, autonomous systems and robotic ground vehicles;
- Training: anything from elementary flight training through vocational training of LAMEs and air traffic controllers, to professional engineering training and education; and
- Aeronautics: anything relating to aircraft, helicopter and missile structures, propulsion, role equipment and flight control, including counter-drone technologies.
The Australian International Airshow and Aerospace & Defence Exposition is a global business event, hosting multiple concurrent conferences and expo streams across the spectrum of defence, airlines, business and general aviation, sport and recreational aviation, airports, MRO, space, unmanned systems, air safety and ground equipment.
Avalon 2019 is supported by the Royal Australian Air Force, Airservices Australia, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Defence’s Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, the Defence Science and Technology Group and the Departments of Industry, Innovation and Science and of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities.
More information about the Avalon 2019 Innovation Awards, including eligibility criteria and application forms, is available here.