Royal Australian Air Force Wing Commander Stuart Johnson has hailed the installation of lighting fixtures at RAAF Base Richmond, which has proven to be a “game-changer” for maintenance personnel.
Works have been completed for stage one of the project to install tarmac lighting at Richmond, seeing the delivery of 16 lights to the No. 37 Squadron (37SQN) flight line.
Stage two is due for completion soon, and will add seven lights to cover the base's western ordnance loading area, as well as keyhole parking positions on the eastern apron.
“The lights can be set to automatic, where they come on at dusk and extinguish at dawn,” WGCDR Johnson said.
“They can also be manually turned on and off at each individual pole, or remotely activated from within 37SQN’s Flightline Office.”
The project was co-ordinated between Air Mobility Group and Defence Estate and Infrastructure Group, with Aurecon as the primary contractor.
WGCDR Johnson managed the project for Air Mobility Group, and said the change from mobile lightstands has a number of benefits, including safety.
“There’s a commensurate reduction in noise, fumes and fuel, because the mobile lightstands run on a generator,” WGCDR Johnson said.
“There’s also an increase in safety for individuals and vehicles moving around the tarmac with greater visibility dusk until dawn.”
RAAF Base Richmond is located 50 kilometres north-west of Sydney and is home to the C-130 Hercules medium transport aircraft.
Richmond is also home to:
- No 453 Squadron Flight Richmond - Air Base Air Traffic Services
- No 37 Squadron - Hercules medium transport
- No 22 (City of Sydney) Squadron - airbase operations
- No 87 Squadron Air Mobility Tactical Intelligence Flight
- No 285 Squadron - Air Mobility Group flight simulator and technical training
- No 3 Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron
- No 1 Security Force Squadron Detachment Richmond
- Air Movements Training and Development Unit - aerial delivery development, training and certification
- Air Lift Systems Program Office - Defence Materiel Organisation medium airlift sustainment
- No 176 Air Dispatch Squadron - Army air dispatching