Queensland-based Ryan Aerospace is set to unveil its HELIMOD Mark III virtual reality helicopter simulator device at World Helicopter Day in Brisbane this weekend.
To continue reading the rest of this article, please log in.
Create free account to get unlimited news articles and more!
The HELIMOD Mark III was designed to teach real helicopter pilots the art of long lining/vertical reference/slung loads and hover training.
HELIMOD Mark III is a virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display that puts the user directly in the pilot's seat of virtually any aircraft. There is a full sense of immersion brought about by the 3D, stereoscopic nature of the VR goggles.
The pilot has the ability to 'look around' the aircraft and, more importantly, can lean out the side and look directly underneath the helicopter (such as looking down at your slung load). This is perfect for teaching the basics of vertical reference.
The HELIMOD Mark III is portable and deployable making it ideal for small offices, trailers, shipping containers etc. The main base is just 28 inches wide (700mm) and 51 inches long (1300mm).
The HELIMOD Mark III enjoys a number of key features and benefits, including:
- Full immersion in the cockpit with the ability to look around (including directly down for vertical reference/long lining operations);
- Modular and reconfigurable (aircraft-specific modules and controls can easily be added/interchanged), including main instrument panels, avionics suites, GPS etc;
- USB "Plug and Play". Can be used with a variety of software platforms dependent on the training requirement;
- Cyclic has force trim function with stick shaker option available;
- Pedals have high quality hydraulic dampening;
- Collective has high quality hydraulic dampening and friction control;
- Main frame has durable Rhino Coating with recessed, rugged handles for easy movement. Internal parts over-engineered to withstand the harshest of operating environments;
- Retractable wheel system for easy movement available as an option;
- Small footprint. Can fit in a small office, trailer or shipping container and is entirely portable;
- Package deals with PC, configured software and virtual reality headset available;
- Motion platform available;
- Adjustable seat and scalable; and
- Can also be used with LCD screens or projectors for the out-the-window visuals instead of/as well as the virtual reality headset.
HELIMOD Mark III builds on the success of Ryan Aerospace's Mark II unit, which proved highly successful at the Heli-Expo in Las Vegas recently.