The global defence and aerospace company has secured a US Navy contract to provide the Royal New Zealand Air Force with P-8A Poseidon training.
To continue reading the rest of this article, please log in.
Create free account to get unlimited news articles and more!
The US Navy has awarded Boeing a $109 million foreign military sales (FMS) contract to deliver a suite of P-8A Poseidon training systems and courseware to the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Boeing’s P-8 training system is designed to enable the RNZAF to conduct up to 70 per cent of all Poseidon-related training in a simulated environment.
Specifically, Boeing is expected to provide:
- Operational Flight Trainer (OFT) – Full-motion simulator incorporates all P-8 unique displays and switches;
- Weapons Tactics Trainer – Simulates mission systems and tactical operations, and when coupled with the OFT, forms a Weapons Systems Trainer that enables multi-crew, high-fidelity mission rehearsal training in the same simulated environment;
- Virtual Maintenance Trainer – Enables training of maintenance professionals to properly perform maintenance tasks and procedures on the P-8A aircraft;
- Scenario Generation Station – Creates custom scenarios for mission training; and
- Brief/Debrief Station – Provides post-mission analysis and playback.
Boeing’s Electronic Classroom will also give RNZAF instructors and students access to courseware and testing capabilities.
Further, Boeing will provide initial Instructor Cadre Training to a group of RNZAF instructors, enabling them to continue training additional RNZAF P-8A instructors and aircrews following delivery of the training system in early 2024.
“This holistic training system will enable aircrew to safely train for all aspects of flying and maintaining the P-8A Poseidon,” Tonya Noble, director of international defense training for Boeing, said.
“We look forward to bringing these training capabilities in-country and working alongside the RNZAF to ensure readiness of aircrew and maintenance personnel.”
The training is set to be conducted in Ohakea, New Zealand.
The RNZAF acquired four P-8A Poseidon aircraft through the US Navy FMS process in March 2020, with expected delivery beginning in 2023.