Welding is a core capability critical in the delivery of upcoming defence equipment projects. A high level of welding competence will be required by both prime contractors and subcontractors in the supply chain if projects are to be delivered efficiently and companies are to take full advantage of the opportunities this defence initiative offers.
To facilitate and foster this activity, Weld Australia is establishing a network of defence welding hubs in key locations around Australia. Each hub will provide a focal point for defence welding activity through a network of contractors, subcontractors and relevant supporting organisations.
Key defence welding hubs will be developed at:
- Perth, WA;
- Melbourne, VIC;
- Adelaide, SA;
- Brisbane, QLD; and
- Wollongong, NSW.
This unique Weld Australia initiative will facilitate and foster activity which is necessary to achieving the degree of competence required by global defence prime contractors and their certifying authority.
The hub will provide a focal point for defence welding activity through a network of contractors, subcontractors and relevant supporting organisations. Additionally, the defence welding hubs will provide a range of services, including:
- Facilitate collaboration through a network of defence welding professionals and organisations;
- Provide access to Advanced Welder Training Centres, incorporating augmented reality simulators and advanced welder training systems, delivering state subsidised welder training courses to AS/NZS ISO 9606-1;
- Deliver welding, supervision, inspection, technology and engineering (IWI, IWS, IWT and IWE) courses;
- Offer welding consulting services on establishing factory production control systems to AS/NZS ISO 3834 and other technical welding problems;
- Provide IIW Certification to AS/NZS ISO 3834; and
- Expedite technology transfer, research development and commercialisation projects through Weld Australia’s relationship with DMTC, DSTG and the French, Italian, Spanish and German Welding Institutes.
More information on the defence welding hubs, including becoming a member is available here.