The Defence Work Experience Program provides young Australians interested in Defence as a future career with the opportunity to sample life in Defence and learn more about the ADF and the Australian Public Service (APS).
There are around 350 jobs to choose from in the ADF, in just about every field you can think of. The Navy, Army and Air Force have one of the most diverse range of careers in the country. What's more, the ADF pays you to study for your qualifications. Jobs include everything from pilot, medical officer, clerk and cook through to combat systems operator, vehicle mechanic and air traffic controller.
The Department of Defence employs more than 20,000 APS employees. Defence APS employees are employed in an array of critical positions Australia-wide enabling our three services Navy, Army and Air Force to do their job.
Defence APS employees are involved in most facets of Defence from providing the equipment Australian Defence Force personnel use, to making Defence policy.
Work experience opportunities are available for both secondary and tertiary students. Students participating in Defence work experience placements must be at least 15 years of age at the time of the placement.
Defence is committed to providing a national work experience program designed to:
- Demonstrate the wide variety of interesting careers available within Defence;
- Ease the transition of students into the workplace; and
- Contribute to the development of the skills of young people.
The department has a number of specialised, work experience programs for young women interested in pursuing a career in the ADF, including:
- Women in Navy Leadership Camp - Garden Island, WA 26-28 Sept 2018;
- Women in Army Adventure Camp - Townsville, Qld 25-27 Sept 2018;
- Flight Camp for Young Women - East Sale, VIC 24-27 Sept 2018; and
- Women in Navy Aviation Camp - Nowra, NSW 21-24 Oct 2018.
More information, including other defence work experience opportunities and how to submit an application is available here.