Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Home / key enablers / Aussie WWI soldiers commemorated in Fromelles

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Aussie WWI soldiers commemorated in Fromelles

Seven Australian First World War soldiers who died during the Battle of Fromelles in 1916, previously buried as unknown soldiers, have received new headstones following their formal identification by the 2019 Fromelles Identification Board.

The seven soldiers commemorated were:

Advertisement
Advertisement
  • 352 Private Arthur George BATT 32nd Bn. A.I.F. age 32 of Hilton, South Australia
  • 4188 Private Edward James HOPE 54th Bn. A.I.F. age 28 of Penrith, NSW
  • 641 Private Leslie Clark DUNN 31st Bn. A.I.F. age 28 of West Melbourne, Victoria
  • 1291 Private George HONEY 32nd Bn. A.I.F. age 31 of West Guilford, Western Australia
  • 715 Lance Corporal Ralph JOHNSON 31st Bn. A.I.F. age 19 of Middle Brighton, Victoria
  • 77 Lance Corporal John Alexander CRAWFORD 32nd Bn. A.I.F. age 32 of Hindmarsh, SA
  • 3433 Private Peter Paul SHANNON 53rd Bn. A.I.F. age 35 of Merriwa, NSW.

The seven men were among 250 soldiers who fought and died in the Battle of Fromelles, recovered in 2009 from a previously unmarked mass grave.

Minister for Veterans and Defence Personnel Darren Chester said the headstone dedication ceremony at the Commonwealth War Graves Commonwealth Commission Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery was important to recognise the sacrifice of the seven men.

“These brave soldiers rest in peace, their graves now marked by a headstone with their name and service details,” Minister Chester said.

“Our commitment to our fallen is a deeply felt responsibility.

SPONSORED CONTENT

 

“After today’s ceremony, a total of 166 Australian soldiers have been recovered, identified and reburied from the mass grave,” Mr Chester said.

“All involved in the Fromelles Project should be commended for their work so far, which continues as they seek to identify the remaining 84 unknown soldiers.

“I encourage all members of the public with relatives who fought at Fromelles, who have a date of death of 19 to 21 July 1916 and have no known grave, to register with Army’s Unrecovered War Casualties team.”

Aussie WWI soldiers commemorated in Fromelles
WW1_soldier.jpg
lawyersweekly logo

more from defence connect

Aug 26 2019
Strategic competition provides immense opportunities for Australia
The ongoing strategic competition between the US and China and, to a lesser extent, the same tempo o...
Aug 26 2019
Shanghai Noon: First pictures emerge of China’s LHDs in development
Blurry images have surfaced online of one of China’s Type 075 Landing Helicopter Docks (LHDs) in d...
Aug 26 2019
A geostrategic SWOT analysis for Australia
Australia’s rapidly evolving geo-strategic neighbourhood is setting the scene for a major challeng...
FROM THE WEB
Recommended by Spike Native Network