Saab has received an order from the Australian Army for deliveries of the new Carl-Gustaf M4 multi-role weapon system. This is Saab’s sixth customer for the Carl-Gustaf M4 system since its launch in late 2014. Deliveries will take place during 2020.
To continue reading the rest of this article, please log in.
Create free account to get unlimited news articles and more!
The new version retains all the effectiveness and versatility of the Carl-Gustaf system while introducing a range of major enhancements. These include a lighter weight design (weighing less than seven kilograms), a round counter, improved safety and intelligent features, such as compatibility with future intelligent sighting systems and programmable ammunition, which collectively offer significant operational improvements for the soldier. The weapon is fully backward compatible with all ammunition types.
"With the introduction of the M4 version, the Australian Army will have a weapon with the latest technology and improved ergonomics providing an increased tactical flexibility to deal with most situations on the battlefield," said Görgen Johansson, head of Saab business area dynamics.
The Carl-Gustaf has seen extensive operational service with the Australian Army and moving to the M4 weapon represents the continued modernisation of this important lethality system. The new Carl-Gustaf M4 is a man-portable multi-role weapon system that provides high tactical flexibility through its wide range of ammunition types.
A marked evolution in the history of the system, the new M4 model meets the needs of modern conflict environments while offering compatibility with future innovations. Its new features include:
- Lighter: Builds upon the success of its predecessor by offering an even shorter length and a weight of less than seven kilograms;
- Intelligent sight: Compatible with intelligent sight systems, ensuring maximum effect in any tactical situation;
- Improved economics: Overall improved ergonomics enables soldiers to adjust the weapon to suit them. Includes an adjustable shoulder rest and front grip;
- Reduced action time: Unit can be carried loaded to enable the user to act faster; and
- Round counter: Integrated shot counter for improved logistics and maintenance.
Saab serves the global market with products, services and solutions within military defence and civil security. Saab has operations and employees on all continents around the world. Through innovative, collaborative and pragmatic thinking, Saab develops, adopts and improves new technology to meet customers’ changing needs.
Comments powered by CComment