AIDN WA said motivation for the award has come from the current state of the defence market. The industry association said the current and emerging defence market is focused heavily on turn-key and low risk options that favour larger-scale solutions.
"Given that challenge, small to medium enterprises seeking to engage with Defence will often need to pursue collaborations, either with each other or with larger organisations to create comprehensive solution that will meet the needs of Defence," AIDN WA stated.
As such, the new award will be given to an SEM in recognition of a collaboration that has benefited Defence as the end user, as well as highlighting the importance of collaboration in the current defence environment.
The collaboration may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- SME with SME;
- SME with pime contractor;
- SME with manufacturer;
- SME with government/Defence; and
- SME with universities (for defence purposes).
Larger than two-party collaborations are also encouraged to apply.
This award will judge entrants on the following criteria:
- Creating or maintaining economic benefit for WA;
- Creating or maintaining employment and/or skill development in WA; and
- Enhancing or creating Defence infrastructure in WA.
- Longer collaborations will be considered favourably, however short one-off transactions are encouraged to apply; and
- Shortlisted applications may be subject to some due diligence to confirm suitability for the award.
This award will be presented at the end of each calendar year, and winning SMEs will receive:
- A plaque to celebrate the outstanding collaboration and contribution to WA; and
- Spotlight articles in notable publications
Entries close on 30 September. Finalists will be announced 1 November and the winner will be announced at the AIDN WA Christmas function.