Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Australian soldier identified after 101 years

war cemetery

The identity of a World War I Australian soldier previously recorded incorrectly as an illegal absentee has been confirmed by Minister for Defence Personnel Darren Chester.

The identity of a World War I Australian soldier previously recorded incorrectly as an illegal absentee has been confirmed by Minister for Defence Personnel Darren Chester.

Minister Chester said the previously unidentified Australian soldier was formally identified by an Australian Army Identification Board on 29 August 2017 as Private Edward Attfield, regimental number 1701.

Advertisement
Advertisement

"It can now be confirmed Private Attfield lies in Old Cairo War Cemetery in Egypt. He had previously been declared a deserter by mistake," Minister Chester said.

Born in 1890 in Prahran, Victoria, Private Attfield was determined to serve his country. He attempted to enlist in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) on seven occasions, and finally enlisted on 22 December 1914.

On May 1915, Private Attfield deployed to Gallipoli with the 5th Battalion, AIF. He was wounded in action on 26 May 1915 and evacuated to a hospital in Alexandria. He returned to Gallipoli in October 1915, where he served until December 1915.

PROMOTED CONTENT

On 30 January 1916, the body of an unknown Australian soldier was discovered near the Gizeh (Giza) Base in Egypt. A medical examination failed to identify the soldier and he was buried as an unknown soldier in the Old Cairo War Cemetery.

Army records show that Private Attfield was the only soldier missing from the region at the time his body was recovered.

Martin Elliget, a researcher from Victoria, made a submission to Army to reconsider the case, which directly led to the identification of the soldier.

"The Army’s Identification Board has reviewed all the evidence presented by Unrecovered War Casualties—Army and concluded there is sufficient evidence to confirm the soldier's identity as Private Edward Attfield," Minister Chester said.

On Anzac Day 2018, a new headstone provided by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission will be unveiled by Defence staff from OP Mazurka and the Australian Ambassador to Egypt, Neil Hawkins. The most direct descendant of Private Attfield will be presented with his newly struck medals as part of the Balnarring Victoria ANZAC Day activities. The family chose to include the inscription ‘I once was lost, but now am found’ onto the newly installed headstone.

"This represents the culmination of a great deal of effort from researchers, family and agencies from around the world,” the minister said.

"It is a wonderful occasion to rectify the record on a true hero of Gallipoli on Anzac Day 2018."

Australian soldier identified after 101 years
War-cemetery.jpg
lawyersweekly logo

 

more from defence connect

Nov 27 2020
Army takes action amid war crimes allegations
The Chief of Army has taken administrative action against 13 special forces soldiers accused of comm...
Nov 27 2020
Serco Australia recognised as Naval Business of the Year
The essential services provider has been named the Naval Business of the Year at Defence Connect’s...
Nov 27 2020
Naval Group confirms leadership reshuffle amid subs controversy
The global defence contractor has announced the appointment of a new executive to head up its delive...
FROM THE WEB
Recommended by Spike Native Network