New Zealand born Ransom comes to OPEC off the back of 24 years’ military experience with the Royal New Zealand Air Force, where he worked as an armament technician and as the senior inspector of explosives.
Ransom brings with him a wealth of expertise gained at Australian company Milsearch, where he was engaged for 14 years as the general manager with responsibility for UXO remediation across Australia, NZ, the south-west Pacific and south-east Asia.
Ransom said, "Getting my feet under the desk and bringing my commercial experience to bear as we work together to help further grow the business is something that I’m really looking forward to."
In addition to setting vision and direction for the team, he will be responsible for high level liaison with major customers and suppliers, driving business development and ensuring compliance with legislation and Australian standards.
"UXO remediation is a highly specialist area, and the skill base at this senior level means it can be challenging to find the ideal candidate. As it happens, Mike is a perfect fit for this role, and we look forward to welcoming him aboard," said OPEC Systems managing director Peter Murphy.
OPEC Systems is a privately owned Australian company specialising in site remediation, disaster response, and commission and supply of specialist equipment. The business is centred on provision of specialist services within hazardous and complex contaminated environments.
OPEC Systems was first established in Australia in Sydney in 1992, and currently employs over 60 permanent staff. It operates in all Australian states and territories with workshop and warehouse capabilities to support major projects.
The company is comprised of six divisions:
- Defence: remediation of sites contaminated with UXO, CWAs and TRWs; supply of CBRN; PFAS remediation; protection, detection and identification of TIC/TIM; mobile hospitals; monitoring systems;
- Industrial: bulk fuel infrastructure management; decommissioned site management; remediation of hazardous materials;
- Marine: oil spill equipment and response vessels, storage and maintenance services, security;
- Subsea: commercial diving solutions relating to demolition, civil construction and salvage; underwater UXO, CWA and TRW tasks; vessels and equipment hire;
- Environment: environmental remediation and refinery sludge ponds; and
- Health: durable, climate controlled medical hospitals for disaster response; remote health, oil and gas exploration support.