The ACT government is aiming to further diversify the local economy and create more jobs through the launch of the ACT Defence Industry Advisory Board and the Canberra Region Defence Industry Capability Directory.
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr and Minister for Higher Education, Training and Research Meegan Fitzharris announced the establishment of the board and directory on Friday, 17 March.
The development of the board and directory aims to grow areas where the ACT has significant capabilities, including space and spatial technologies, geospatial intelligence, cyber security, health and fitness and the services that go to support defence.
The board will also provide strategic advice on maximising the benefit of the Defence White Paper to the Canberra region.
The Department of Defence already injects an estimated $3.1 billion into the Canberra region’s economy and creates about 16,800 jobs. When related industries are taken into account, it is estimated the defence sector contributes around $7 billion and 30,000 jobs to the Canberra region.
The board aims to provide members with strong military credentials and an understanding of the key sectors that are the future drivers of the diversification of the local economy.
Board members include:
- Air Marshal (Ret’d) Geoff Brown AO - chair
- Air Vice Marshal (Ret’d) Mark Skidmore AM
- Rear Admiral (Ret’d) Raydon Gates AO CSM
- Brigadier (Ret’d) Alison Creagh CSC
- Tony Henshaw, chair of the Canberra Cyber Network
- Adam Smith, CEO of Geoplex Pty Ltd and chair of the Canberra Space-Spatial Sector Development Committee
- Robert Forbes, commercial director, CEA Technologies and chair of the ACT branch of the Australian Industry Defence Network
- Glenn Keys, co-founder Aspen Medical and chair of the Canberra Business Chamber's Defence Taskforce
- Kate Lundy, ACT Defence Industry Advocate (ex-officio).
The Canberra Region Defence Industry Capability Directory is available at www.act.gov.au/defence. Companies and organisations wishing to be included in the directory can also register at the website.