Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Japan prepares next-gen fighter partnership framework

Artists concept of the Japanese Air Self Defense Force's future F-X Fighter (Source: Japanese Ministry of Defense)

Japan’s Ministry of Defense (MoD) has kicked off the formalisation of a framework for the development of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force’s (JASDF) next-generation fighter aircraft, the F-X.

Japan’s Ministry of Defense (MoD) has kicked off the formalisation of a framework for the development of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force’s (JASDF) next-generation fighter aircraft, the F-X.

The current global and regional transition from fourth to fifth-generation fighter aircraft, like the F-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter platforms, is reshaping the role of fighter fleets and the balance of power in the Indo-Pacific region.  

Advertisement
Advertisement

Driven largely by advances in the capabilities fielded by both a resurgent Russia and a rising China, both of whom are increasingly eager to exercise their influence over strategically vital areas, like the East and South China Seas in particular.

The regional fighter aircraft race continues to heat up as Japan has formalised its plans to pursue a next-generation air superiority-focused fighter aircraft capable of supplementing the capabilities of its growing fleet of F-35A and B aircraft.

This next stage has been a long-term attempt by the Japanese government. While committing to the procurement of 147 F-35s, the Japanese government has remained focused on procuring a fifth-generation, air dominance fighter, with or without US help, to counter the growing challenges it faces in its direct region.  

PROMOTED CONTENT

In response to these challenges, the Japanese MoD launched the the development of the X-2 Shinshin, a technology demonstrator that proved Japan's domestic aerospace industry could produce an indigenous stealth fighter design capable of competing with the world's best.

In order to support the development of a Japanese air superiority fighter, the Japanese government and Japanese Defense Ministry have kicked off the Future Fighter Development Office to begin operations in April 2020. 

The planned Future Fighter Development Office was first mentioned in the 30 August budget request for FY2020. In the budget request, the Japanese Defense Ministry urged the Japanese government to approve the launch of a Japan-led aircraft development program that can play a crucial role in the development of the country’s next fighter aircraft.

It has been revealed that the JASDF and MoD will determine a preliminary partnership framework for the development of the F-X fighter aircraft. While details remain light, it is expected that the formal draft will be finalised by December 2020. 

Additionally, it has been revealed that funding for the F-X development program will reach about JPY28 billion (US$256.5 million) in FY2020.

A total of JPY16.9 billion of this funding (60 per cent) will be spent on “F-X related research projects”, said the spokesperson, with the remaining JPY11.1 billion (40 per cent) allocated for “conceptual design in Japan-led development” activity. 

 

Japan prepares next-gen fighter partnership framework
Japanese_FX_Fighter.jpg
lawyersweekly logo

 

more from defence connect

Jack Kormas
Sep 24 2020
PODCAST: LAND 129 Phase 3 and supporting sovereign UAS capabilities – Jack Kormas, managing director, Textron Systems Australia
While much of the focus for sovereign industrial capabilities has been for Defence’s big-ticket it...
Raytheon Australia announces team of Aussie SMEs for LAND 129 bid
Sep 24 2020
Raytheon Australia announces team of Aussie SMEs for LAND 129 bid
Raytheon Australia has announced its team of 10 Australian SMEs to deliver a fully sovereign Austra...
Sep 24 2020
DMTC partners with ANU for hyperspectral imaging R&D
Melbourne-based DMTC’s High Altitude Sensor Systems Program has partnered with the Advanced Instr...
FROM THE WEB
Recommended by Spike Native Network