The Avalon 2019 Innovation Awards recognise and reward innovation by Australian individuals and organisations at the forefront of innovation in aviation, aerospace, defence and space products, services and business processes.
This will be the fourth Avalon Airshow to feature the Innovation Awards, developed by the not-for-profit Aerospace Maritime Defence and Security Foundation of Australia Limited.
Avalon 2019 CEO, Ian Honnery said, "The awards reflect our altruistic purpose, which is to promote the development of Australia’s aviation, space and aerospace industries. We have expanded the awards and increased the value of the two cash prizes in recognition of the great work being done by innovative Australians."
Six awards will be presented in total for the following categories:
- AVALON 2019 National Civil Innovation Award;
- AVALON 2019 National Defence Innovation Award;
- AVALON 2019 Civil SME Innovation Grant;
- AVALON 2019 Defence SME Innovation Grant;
- AVALON 2019 Young Civil Innovator Award; and
- AVALON 2019 Young Defence Innovator Award.
The Avalon organisers also strongly encourage entries in the following sub-categories, in which the judges may present additional prizes at their discretion:
- Space Operations and Technology: anything relating to space technology and operations, from launchers and payloads to ground stations and control systems;
- Autonomous and Unmanned Systems and ISR: anything from hand-held to HALE UAVs, Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance equipment and payloads, advanced ground stations, autonomous systems and robotic ground vehicles;
- Training: anything from elementary flight training through vocational training of LAMEs and air traffic controllers, to professional engineering training and education; and
- Aeronautics: anything relating to aircraft, helicopter and missile Structures, Propulsion, Role Equipment and Flight Control, including counter-drone technologies.
The awards are open to Australian companies or the Australian subsidiaries of overseas parent companies. The innovation could be a new product or service to a new approach to business. Entries will be judged on originality and their understanding of user needs.
"We want to present all 10 awards; we want to recognise the skills and expertise that exist within Australia and reward the highly innovative work which is being undertaken by Australian companies and individuals," Honnery said.
The Australian International Airshow and Aerospace & Defence Exposition is a global business event, hosting multiple concurrent conferences and expo streams across the spectrum of Defence, Airlines, Business and General Aviation, Sport and Recreational Aviation, Airports, MRO, Space, Unmanned Systems, Air Safety and Ground Equipment.
Avalon 2019 is strongly supported by the Royal Australian Air Force, Airservices Australia, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Defence’s Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, the Defence Science and Technology Group and the Departments of Industry, Innovation and Science and of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities.
More information about the Avalon 2019 Innovation Awards, including eligibility criteria and application forms is available here.