Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
Home / Maritime / Naval Shipbuilding Plan officially unveiled

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Naval Shipbuilding Plan officially unveiled

naval shipbuilding plan officially unveiled
The Prime Minister with Marise Payne & Christoper Pyne releasing Australia’s first Naval Shipbuilding Plan in Adelaide

The government has released the long-awaited $89 billion Naval Shipbuilding Plan today, which includes plans to spend $1.3 billion to upgrade naval facilities in South Australia and Western Australia.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Defence Minister Marise Payne and Defence Industry Minister Christopher Pyne officially released the 114-page plan at the Osborne shipyards in Adelaide today.

Advertisement
Advertisement

In a joint statement, Prime Minister Turnbull and Minister Pyne said, "The government is delivering on its unwavering commitment to both national security and economic prosperity through the continuous building of naval vessels in Australia, while also strengthening the nation’s advanced manufacturing industrial base."

The plan outlines over $1 billion in infrastructure upgrades, which includes an upgrade to Adelaide's Osborne Naval Shipyard and the plant at Henderson in WA.

Work on the infrastructure build at Osborne will begin in July, to support the construction of major surface ships, and conclude by the second half of 2019.

The upgrades will encompass construction of new cranes and heavy lift transportation capability, welding stations and upgrades to workshops and storage facilities, including new steel framed sheds.

The plan states that, while the existing infrastructure at Osborne is "sufficient" to continue block assembly of Australia's three air warfare destroyers, it is "inadequate" for "high productivity construction" of major surface combatants such as the future frigates, which are expected to begin construction in 2020.

The naval shipbuilding workforce is expected to grow to around 5,200 workers by the mid to late 2020s, with more than double this number of workers in sustainment activities and throughout supply chains across Australia.

But the plan also acknowledges foreign and interstate workers will be needed in SA if production deadlines are to be met on time. 

The program will see 12 submarines, nine frigates and 12 offshore patrol vessels produced, as well as 19 Pacific Patrol Boats given to neighbouring countries.

The blueprint also says it "will give competitive Australian businesses great opportunities to compete for Defence contracts and transfer knowledge, technology and skills to other areas of the economy, expand into new markets and pursue export opportunities".

 

 

 

Naval Shipbuilding Plan officially unveiled
PM-and-defence-ministers.jpg
lawyersweekly logo

more from defence connect

Jul 17 2019
SMEs hold the key to developing Australia’s defence sector
Australia’s SME ecosystem has gone from strength to strength as a result of the record $200 billio...
Jul 17 2019
Maximising Australia’s submarine capability with a ‘high-low’ mix
‘High-low’ force structures establish a complementary force package and have typically been the ...
Jul 17 2019
Exercise Talisman Sabre 19: The road so far – Part 5
With Exercise Talisman Sabre 19 officially kicking off last week, Defence Connect will provide con...
FROM THE WEB
Recommended by Spike Native Network